Welcome to the Blackboard e-Education platform,—designed to enable educational innovations everywhere by connecting people and technology.
If you are running tests, assignments or other marked activities in a VITAL module and need to prevent students from seeing their grades as soon as they are entered, this is usually achieved by hiding the relevant assignment/test column from student view and also hiding the Total column from student view.
A bug in the new student My Grades facility means that even when you hide the Total column it still shows to the students in My Grades. The individual scores are hidden but being able to see the Total could allow students to work out their grades this way. Whilst the University awaits a fix from the software developers for this problem, the suggested workaround is as follows.
Essentially, you need to make an alternative column in the Grade Centre the 'External Grade'. By default this is the 'Total' column and this is indicated by a green tick in the column header.
If you are certaing that you are not using the 'Weighted Total' column in this module then follow Step 2 below to make it the 'External Grade'.
If you are using the 'Weighted Total' column in this module then follow from Step 1 below.
- Create a new manual column in the Grade Centre. This will become a 'dummy' column with no student grades in it etc.
- Click the "Create Column" button on the Grade Centre, as shown below.
- Give the column a name (don't bother with the Grade Centre Name field.)
- Enter 0 for the points value. Don't worry about any other settings except for...
- In the Options section make sure all three options are set to No ('Include this column...', 'Show this column...' and 'Show Statistics...'.
- Click Submit.
- Set this new column as the External Grade for the module (or the 'Weighted Column' if you are using this).
- In the header for the new column, click on the downward arrow icon.
- On the pop-up menu, select the option 'Set as External Grade'.
- The column should now have a green tick in it (which will have moved from the Total column).
- Ensure that the Total and relevant Assignment/Test columns are also still set to be hidden from student view. Remember, to hide the Total column from students, you need to do this through the 'Edit Column Information' option on the menu for this column.
Faculty, staff and students are reporting an "Internet Explorer has stopped working" message when using Internet Explorer 11 to access VITAL. Currently, Internet Explorer 11 is not supported by Blackboard.
Currently the suggested workaround for this problem is to use an alternative browser like Firefox, Google Chrome or Safari.